Monday, March 22, 2010

Know your role


It goes without saying that there is a lot of drama in our classes, but the kind I look forward to is when we actually have "Drama Class". Currently, we have been assigned "The Wizard Of Oz", a classic tale of the wonderfully sweet Dorothy, lost in an unknown world; and at the same time, it is undeniably, even innately familiar. Much like what I go through in Korea on a daily basis. A sort of bastardized version of a reality I once knew.
To Wit:
I was handed a storyboard'ed script for "The Wizard of Oz" production we are to perform in the near future. Upon reading it, I immediately wanted to vomit on the nearest child possible... which thankfully was Brian Kim as he can't help but to saddle up to the teacher every second of the class. I however held it in, knowing he would probably take this as a sign along the lines of "Teacher favors me the most".

What makes me sick? To present my case, I will start with a photo of her and ToTo*.

What is with the Ba-Donk-a-donk? Judy Garland may have been a lot of things (barbituate addict comes to mind), but her wonderful "Girl Next Door" looks preceeded that of many a pin-up starlet of those times (pre-Betty Page). She was one hot gal, even in black and white. Anyhow, this only brings me to the next warping of that iconic image/character I grew up with: In this adaptation, Dorothy is an incredible BITCH! Let's get to know her some...
When the Scarecrow can't do simple math, Dorothy says, (pasted from the book)

Then while meeting the Tin Man, there is this interaction,

And of course, she can't help but to say to the Lion multiple times,

We had a discussion in class and as we all know, Brian Kim can't keep his mouth shut:

Teacher: Who else thinks Dorothy is being a jerk? (Brian Kim raises his hand to ask a question) ... And before you bother me to ask what a jerk is, I'll just say it's a person we don't want to be friends with. (Brian Kim's hand resumes loitering on his desk).

Brian Kim: Teacher, I think Dorothy is smart.

Teacher: You would, but please, tell me why.

Brian Kim: The scarecrow is stupid, and she does waste time with Tin Man. She has to get home fast.


Teacher: I see, so she should just look out for herself? Forgot these people who need help? Work to advance her own endeavours?(Brian Kim raises his hand) Oh, for fuck sake, advance means to make better, and endeavours... let's just say that means adventures. Happy!?

Brian Kim: Yes, Teacher! She should!

Teacher: I figured you'd say that. You two are a lot alike Brian Kim... which is why YOU will be playing Dorothy!

*not to be confused with t.A.T.u., the sexy, bi-curious, russian musical duo.

1 comment: